Workplace dynamics can be a tricky thing. This is especially true if your boss seems to consistently notice and support someone else instead of you. Is your boss playing favorites in your workplace or are you imagining it? Read more to find out.
What Is Favoritism in the Workplace?
This concern refers to someone in a management position treating one employee better than others. This often happens because the two people get along well or have a personal friendship. To make sure the problem really is favoritism, consider the person’s credentials and work performance. Keep in mind that there may be factors you are unaware of. Also, assess your strengths and weaknesses, and see if improving your performance improves how you are treated.
Signs of Favoritism
Favoritism in the workplace shows itself in specific ways, such as the favored person:
- Not receiving disciplinary action for poor work behaviors or performance
- Gaining promotions or other advancement opportunities over more qualified employees
- Experiencing a more lax work environment and professional role
Of course, this dynamic can also create signs in the less-favored employee. These include:
- A lack of productivity and low morale
- Frustration and resentment
- A lack of career advancement desire
How to Deal With Favoritism
If you experience or witness workplace favoritism, here are ways to address the situation:
- Discuss the problem with someone higher in the chain of command or someone in Human Resources
- Consider talking to the offending manager about your perspective, especially if you are about to leave the job if it doesn’t change
- Talk to management about career advancement in your company so you can be noticed and encouraged for growth and open positions
With a career focused on digital marketing, Chitra is a specialized SEO-Content marketer. After moving from biotechnology to business operations and marketing, Chitra started her digital marketing career as a freelance content developer and technical writer. With Axiom, as a content marketing & SEO specialist, she is passionate about creating informative marketing copies for optimum search engine performance.