Taking time off from work can help prevent burnout, alleviate stress, and allow you to return refreshed and ready to be more productive. It can also benefit both your physical and mental health in a variety of ways. Yet, many employees today hesitate to take time away from the workplace for fear of losing their job.
While you may believe there are others all too willing and capable of taking your place, denying yourself time off and worrying constantly will bring its own set of consequences your way. Here is how to overcome job loss fear.
Why Taking Paid-Time-Off is Important?
Time away from the office:
- Improves your health
- Bolsters your emotional health
- Prevents burnout
- Increases your productivity
- Promotes a better work-life balance
How to Overcome Fear of Losing a Job
Perhaps you’re paranoid about getting fired while away, or you believe that someone will step up and take your job. These fears are all too real today. However, if you let them consume you, your health will suffer, and so too will your job performance.
Address your fear and overcome them by:
- Examining your current circumstance to determine if your fears are warranted
- Understand your value to the organization and stay confident in your skills and abilities
- Openly communicate with and express your concerns with your supervisor
Finding a way to stay positive and limit these fear-inducing thoughts can help relieve the stress of deciding whether to take days off or not.
How to Overcome Guilt When Taking Days Off
Another common emotion often felt when taking days off is guilt. Good employees don’t want to leave team members with excess work to cover in their absence.
To overcome any guilt that accompanies your planned time off, do the following:
- Communicate your plans to your manager and co-workers well in advance.
- Evaluate your workload and complete the highest priority items before leaving.
- Provide detailed instructions for those that will cover for you.
- Establish personal boundaries and rely on these whenever you start feeling guilty.
Essentially, if you fear someone will take your place or you will lose your job, such feelings may be your warning sign of needing to take a well-deserved break.
With a career focused on digital marketing, Chitra is a specialized SEO-Content marketer. After moving from biotechnology to business operations and marketing, Chitra started her digital marketing career as a freelance content developer and technical writer. With Axiom, as a content marketing & SEO specialist, she is passionate about creating informative marketing copies for optimum search engine performance.
Find out more about our Tempo Live Behavioral Health and Injury Case Management services.