DOT PHYSICAL EXAM
Axiom Medical offers comprehensive occupational health services for employee health management. From pre-employment testing to DOT testing, Axiom Medical provides everything to improve your workforce’s health.
Axiom Medical DOT Physical Exams ensure your DOT employees, CDL drivers, and other safety-sensitive workers meet the appropriate health standards to work safely and are compliant with FMSCA regulations. A strong team of certified clinicians and program managers oversee the entire federally mandated exam process. Our DOT Physical Program covers everything from vision screening to urinalysis. Some key benefits of these tests include the protection of your workforce while streamlining the entire testing process.
Contact Us Today!
What is a DOT Physical Exam?
The Department of Transportation (DOT) requires employees operating motor vehicles as a part of their job duties, to undergo physical exams to obtain or maintain a commercial driving license.
- Testing ensures employees are physically fit to accomplish their work, and do not have physical conditions which could affect driving performance.
- A licensed FMCSA medical examiner must perform testing at a healthcare facility.
- Licensed healthcare practitioners, including a Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctors of Osteopathy (DO), Physician Assistants (PA), Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), and Advanced Practice Nurses (APN), must thoroughly review reports.
- DOT Physical Exam results are valid for up to 24 months. After each test, your medical examiner may also issue a certificate for less than 24 months, should a medical condition be documented, requiring close monitoring, such as heart problems or high blood pressure.
What To Expect At A DOT Physical?
Employees needing to take DOT physical must bring certain documents to ensure the exam runs as smoothly as possible.
- Drivers with vision problems must bring their eyeglasses or contacts.
- Drivers with hearing problems must bring their hearing aids.
- Drivers with diabetes must bring their most recent lab results (including their Hemoglobin A1C (HgAIC) and blood sugar logs)
- Drivers with heart problems must bring a letter from their cardiologist that has details of their medical history and current medications.
Axiom Medical DOT Physical:
Axiom Medical’s DOT Physical covers everything from vision to physical exams, including blood pressure/pulse rate, urinalysis, and other physical checks.
Axiom Medical Physical Checkups include:
- General body checkup (weight, height, and BMI)
- Eyes and ears checkup (cataract, glaucoma, perforated eardrums, and tympanic membrane scarring)
- Mouth and throat examination
- Heart, lungs, and chest (functional tests)
- Genito-urinary (hernia) check
- Vascular tests (abnormal pulse, carotid, varicose veins)
- Neurological and musculoskeletal examinations
Vision & Hearing:
- As per the DOT requirements, drivers should have 20/40 acuity in each eye to clear the test. The results can be with or without correction.
- Drivers must be able to clear the “Forced Whisper” test as a part of their DOT exam. Those with a hearing loss must not have less than 40 dB in their better ear.
Blood Pressure/Pulse Rate:
As a part of the DOT testing, the medical examiner will check the driver’s blood pressure, oxygen level, and pulse rates. This ensures the employee doesn’t have irregular heartbeats or severe hypertension, affecting their driving ability.
Axiom Medical DOT exams also include urinalysis—a test to detect any underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes.
Axiom DOT Physical Featured Services:
Axiom’s Occupational Health Programs and DOT Physicals are designed to help all types of employers requiring their drivers to undergo the exams. Our team of medical professionals are trained in DOT FMCSA exam clearances.
Our DOT Physical highlights include:
- Annual OSHA Compliance
- Baseline Pre-employment Exams
- HAZWOPER (Hazardous Waste Operator Emergency Response) Exams
- PHMSA – Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
- FAA – Federal Aviation Administration
- USCG – United States Coast Guard
- FRA – Federal Railroad Administration
- FMCSA – Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Eliminates guesswork
- Ensures fuss-free physical exams for all employees with quick results
- Help employers to determine if their employees are fit to work
Where Do You Go To Get A DOT Physical?
Your employees can get the physical exam at their primary healthcare provider’s office. However, Axiom Medical makes it even easier with several options and facilities, so your employees can get the physical done at their convenience.
When Does a DOT Physical Need To Be Renewed?
Your DOT Physical is generally valid for 24 months, which means you need to renew your certificate after two years.
They Said It!
I believe with confidence that we are reaching all of our expected goals by bringing Axiom on as an outsourced case management solution.
Axiom has helped us closely monitor the injured employee’s progress through the medical treatment process. Early treatment has kept our employees at work when in the past they would have likely taken time off or been placed off by a physician.
I recommend Axiom because their Nurse Case Management Team is their biggest asset. They are accessible, give great reports and are responsive to our needs.