Do your employees need a Hazwoper Physical and Certification? Axiom Medical can assist! We conduct EKG, pulmonary function tests, and blood work as a part of our Hazwoper Employee Physical Exam Program.
Our Hazmat and Hazwoper Physical Exam can be customized based on an employee’s role within your organization and according to regulatory standards, as mandated by OSHA.
What is a Hazwoper Physical?
Hazwoper stands for Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response. Employees, who are exposed to hazardous waste or experiencing health issues from possible exposure, should undergo a Hazwoper and Hazmat Physical Exam. OSHA has defined permissible exposure levels (PEL) for hazardous substances or health hazards.
Employees requiring a Hazwoper Exam, include:
- Employees who wear a respirator for 30 days or more in a year
- Employees who become sick from possible overexposure, or
- Employees working on a HAZMAT team
Employees must complete the Hazwoper Exam before starting assignments. Such physical exams are conducted annually, though frequency may be increased based on the level of exposure to hazardous materials, as designated by a physician.
What Does a Hazwoper Physical Consist of?
A Hazwoper Physical Exam is like most medical surveillance exams. However, the Hazwoper Physical Exam focuses on employees’ potential overexposure to hazardous materials and how it may impact different parts of the body. The testing physician reviews each patient’s work and medical history, followed by a respirator evaluation, if wearing a respirator is mandatory on the job. This physical exam will assess abnormalities in the exposed employee’s function, agility, and strength, appropriate to the job role’s demand.
As per the recommendations, employees must receive the following screenings, as a part of their Hazwoper Physical:
- Vision screening
- Spirometry (lung function assessment)
- Liver function tests
- Complete blood count
- Hearing test if required
As a part of Hazmat Physical, the employee may also require:
- Blood and urine samples to check for signs of exposure
- Chest X-Ray
- EKG (to check heart function)
- Hepatitis B (and vaccination, if required)
Axiom Medical also offers onsite employee vaccination options, including Flu, travel-mandated vaccines, Hepatitis, and Tdap vaccines.
Mandatory Elements of Hazwoper Exams:
Since the Hazwoper Exam screens and monitors the employees’ exposure to hazardous waste, it is an OSHA-mandated annual exam.
A Hazwoper Exam is required when:
- Workers are exposed to potentially hazardous substances or material above the Permissible Exposure Levels (PELs) set by OSHA.
- The workers are required to wear a respirator for more than 30 days a year.
- When an employee experiences illness due to possible overexposure after working on a Hazmat team.
- When their job includes a response to hazardous materials.
Hazwoper Physical Exam Requirements:
Hazmat physical exam requirements include certain documents from the employer. For employees to undergo Hazwoper Physical, employers must provide the following:
- Employee’s job description
- Past or anticipated exposure levels
- A detailed description of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) currently in use by the employee
- Employees’ prior medical evaluation records
How Often Should a Hazwoper Physical Be Conducted?
Hazwoper Physicals are an annual medical surveillance exam, recommended by OSHA. However, the exam can be conducted when the employee has health concerns due to overexposure or any unlikely accidents.
How Can Axiom Medical Help?
At Axiom Medical, we understand employees are your most important asset! To help employers like you, we offer a wide range of employee testing services, including Hazwoper Physical and Hazmat Exams to maintain your staff’s health and well-being.
Call us today and let us help you with meeting your workplace healthcare goals.
They Said It!
I believe with confidence that we are reaching all of our expected goals by bringing Axiom on as an outsourced case management solution.
Axiom has helped us closely monitor the injured employee’s progress through the medical treatment process. Early treatment has kept our employees at work when in the past they would have likely taken time off or been placed off by a physician.
I recommend Axiom because their Nurse Case Management Team is their biggest asset. They are accessible, give great reports and are responsive to our needs.